baby journal: week 4

     Journal from Friday, March 14th - Posted 5.27.14

Well, the cat is out of the bag!  We're expecting!!  And we're completely and totally overjoyed about it.  And still in a semi-permanent state of shock.  You'd think after trying for a year that it would be a little easier to sink in, but nope.  Still shell shocked.  Shell shocked and excited.

I was reading a girlfriend's blog the other day where she kept a pregnancy journal and I thought that was a great idea.  That's what this blog is about for me anyway, so it seemed an appropriate place for such a thing.  So let's start at the beginning:

We found out we were soon going to be a party of three on Thursday, March 13th, the day before David's birthday.  I knew that time of the month was slated to start on the 14th and up until then we'd had a full twelve months of disappointments.  That was a tough time, especially when everyone I knew seemed to be getting pregnant and starting their families, plus every single person in our ward seemed to keep asking me when we were going to have kids.  That question was the hardest - hopefully soon!  became my go-to answer.  Through a lot of prayer, fasting, and temple attendance I always felt peacefully about our situation, that it would all work out when it was supposed to, but that didn't help the ache in my heart each month when the answer was no.
No, no, no.
Not yet.

After a year of that, you can understand why I decided to just quickly take a pregnancy test a day early, because I didn't want to put any damper on David's birthday.  Lets just find out it's another no and move on so tomorrow can just be a happy day for him.

So I took the test and started getting ready to take a quick shower to wait out my 3 minutes when I looked back at the test after only 30 seconds and saw this:

PREGNANT.  It was positive!  I was pregnant?!!

I immediately started dancing and crying and couldn't believe I took the test without David there!  Now I'd have to wait all day till he got home to tell him!

What with it being busy season, David doesn't get home till late, but he had a meeting for church Thursday night and ended up getting back closer to 9:00 (that's early for him so I was thrilled).  I didn't want to just call him at work and break the news to him without being able to see his face, so I cooked up a plan and waited till he got back to the apartment.  With it being his birthday the next day I decided to give him an "early birthday present."  According to him, this didn't raise any suspicions on his part.  Not even when I almost tackled him when he got through the door and waved the bag in his face telling him to quick go and change out of his suit because I had a present for him to open right now!!! That's not normal behavior...neither is videotaping.  Ever.  He makes my job easy.

I love watching that video again.  His face is so priceless at the end: just a big grin.  I stopped recording before we both teared up.  We celebrated with bubbly grapefruit juice, dancing, and a whole lot of Google-ing.  When should I get nauseous?  What can I eat??  When can we find out the baby's gender???  We were so clueless.  And so, so very happy.  We're finally having a baby!

The next hardest thing was that we were spending that Saturday with my family down in Orange County to celebrate Dave's birthday.  Should we say something??  Was is too soon?  We thought about it a lot and ultimately decided to keep our little secret to ourselves a bit longer, but it was the hardest thing ever!  My favorite part was me trying to discreetly brush goat cheese off my potatoes at the restaurant so no one would notice and get suspicious.  Too funny.

In other news, as of 4 weeks our babe is the size of a tiny sesame seed and I'm:
● breaking out like a 12-year-old tween.  Joy.
● periodically feeling like I've been doing a million sit ups - a shadow of things to come, I fear.
● have plenty of congestion and blowing my nose all the time.
● in my effort to stay uber hydrated, I'm having to use the bathroom basically every hour.  Might as well get used to it now.
● and, of course, the girls are pretty darn sore. 

For some reason I keep calling our tiny baby a she.  Who knows why, it just has been rolling off my tongue more easily than thinking it was a little he.  But what do I know, really?  This is my first rodeo, and I could easily be proved wrong right out the gate - we'll just have to wait and see!

1 comment:

Annastasia Richardson said...

I'm obviously late to the game here but CONGRATS! Waiting for a baby is so hard. It's definitely the hardest thing I've ever done. It took us almost 2 years to get pregnant with our daughter we just had in April and it was the trial of my life but it has made everything since then even sweeter. I'm sure it will be the same for you! His reaction is priceless and I'm sure you will cherish this video for years to come!
(and funny enough- I found out I was pregnant the day before my birthday and video taped my husband getting the news as well :)