- Pages -

9.16.2013

SPRING/SUMMER READS

“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
-Lemony Snicket
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Great Train Robbery - Michael Crichton

This was a book I stole off my sister's bookshelf at random and added to my pile of to-reads.  And you know what?  I really liked it.  Crichton has a way of telling a story and educating you about its specific circumstances that is intriguing and easy to read.  I'd say this was comparable to Ocean's Eleven or something in that vain.  I've never read anything by Michael Crichton, but I think I'm going to go get Jurassic Park sometime soon...




The Work & The Glory (series of 8 volumes) - Gerald N. Lund

After The Great Train Robbery I took a little reading break...and then when I was ready to get around to a new paperback I discovered my bookshelf was running low and I'd probably have to go get something from the library, thus making my reading hiatus last a little longer...Then while at my parents house I saw The Work & the Glory series on the shelf and asked if my mom had enjoyed them.  She said she had and I grabbed the first 3 books.  With eight books int he series, I slowly plowed through them and very much enjoying how much I learned about Church history.  I definitely enjoyed the characters and the author's attention to historical fact and fiction (excellent chapter notes). My advice: church history is not an easy subject so don't go into this thinking it will be light reading.  I became so frustrated at times I had to just put the book down and walk away, but it's worth reading.

The Belgariad (series of 5 volumes) - David Eddings

 Dave and I got hooked on listening to books on tape ever since we started taking long road trips together.  After listening to a host of Brian Sanderson novels, we started this five book series by David Eddings.  It was cute, easy to listen to, and tells the coming of age story of a boy named Garian.  It's teen fiction, and is fairly predictable, but has it's own charm.





Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

We finished The Belgariad series on our way up to Utah and started Ender's Game.  Truthfully I wasn't too keen on listening to this book; I started it sometime around when I was in middle school and thought it was too violent to finish, but David was really excited to read the book again before the movie came out...so I caved.  Turns out I thought it was really a good book.  It is a little violent and it's not an easy plot line, but it's a great scifi story, and Ender is a great main character.  It was one of the book we just had to listen to at least a little bit each night just because we were so hooked.




The Speaker For the Dead - Orson Scott Card

So...turns out we had such a good time in Ender's world that we turned around and listened to the next book in the series.  Speaker For the Dead was nothing we expected it to be, but didn't disappoint.  Card takes you to a whole different planet 3,000 years after the conclusion of Ender's Game where humanity has  found intelligent alien life and how they try to interact with them.  We listened to an interview with Card after we finished the book, and actually this was was the book he set out to write all along, but he ended up having to write Ender's Game to set up the storyline in order to write Speak for the DeadEnder's Game just ended up becoming much more famous.  This wasn't an easy story, and I 'm still not sure if I liked it or not, but if you liked Ender's Game, this is along that same vain.



** Dave and I are currently in the middle of I Am Legend (so creepy) and The Count of Monte Cristo (so long!).  Reviews to come...

No comments: