- Pages -

5.07.2013

a lovely long weekend

David's Grandma passed away last week and we were lucky enough to be able to come to her funeral this past weekend up in Provo.  All David's family lives in Utah, as well as most of our friends, so trips to the beehive state are always welcome in our book.  And they are most especially welcome when Utah is in full springtime mode, aka: my favorite Utah season.

Poor Dave, I made him go on a walk almost every day we were there so I could soak it in.  California is a beautiful place, don't get me wrong, but we don't really get a full on spring, or winter, or fall...we do summer pretty well though.


Utah was also kind enough to send it's springtime snowstorm the week before we came (thank goodness), and it was beautiful sunny days the whole time we were there.  Score. 

We flew in Thursday night (around midnight - thanks Peter & Aileen for getting us!) and Grandma Marion's funeral was the next morning.

Before the funeral I got to run over and see one of my best girls who was leaving for PERU later that day - talk about bad timing!  But at least we got to see each other for a little bit in passing.  And I finally got to see her little newlywed nest - so fun.


Grandma Marion's funeral was lovely and it was so great to spend the day with family celebrating her.  It had been a long time since I had lived close to a grandparent when I married into the Nemrow clan, and I loved getting to see her almost every week at Sunday dinners.  She was spunky and sweet and wore more bling than anyone I've ever met (except maybe Cindy...).  In fact one of the sweetest things at her funeral was that all of Grandma's jewelry was displayed out on a table for each granddaughter (and granddaughters-in-law!) to pick a piece to wear for the day, and then keep in remembrance of her.  And let me tell you, she had A LOT to choose from:


Rings and earrings (clip on of course) and broaches and necklaces, it was all rhinestone studded and sparkly, just like Grandma.  I chose a fun sparkly necklace and have already worn it twice since the funeral!  It has been so fun to think of her each time I put it on.

There was also a display of all Grandma's grandkids and great grandkids when you walked in with Christmas card pictures, wedding announcements, and the like that she has kept over the years.


It's so crazy to marry into a family and become part of them.  I saw myself multiple times on that wall and had to smile - I was a part of her life too!  That picture of her on the left was my favorite on the table - she was one fun lovin' lady.

I was also lucky enough to marry the man with the golden pipes, who Grandma has asked to sing at her funeral for as long as I've been a part of the family (and longer I'm told!).  I actually think that was one of the first things she told me when David introduced us.   "Oh, you're dating our David?  He's going to sing at my funeral."  Well he finally lived up to his promise and sang a beautiful arrangement of "Smile Though Your Heart Is Breaking," "Because I Have Been Given Much," and "Love At Home."  It was very touching, and there were few dry eyes in the crowd. 

Grandma loved the 4th of July (a love that has trickled down into her grandkids - it's Dave's favorite holiday) and she asked that we put out the flags when she died to celebrate her.  There was a bucket of over 200 flags for everyone to take and wave that day in remembrance of her.  The kids loved it and we found flags everywhere all day long.

 Haha, baby hungry much?  We've just got the cutest nieces and nephews around.

It really was a day of celebration and even when I talked to Cindy later about her mother's funeral she just kept saying what a party it was.  And it was!  It was a great day and I know that makes our Grandma Marion smile.

Saturday morning we got everyone out of bed and down to Communal, Dave and my favorite Provo restaurant.  And it did not disappoint.


 We had crepes and johnny cakes and the most delicious biscuits with homemade jam.  It was kind of funny calling the night before to ask if they please had enough room the next day for a reservation of...15?  As luck would have it, they did and it was so much fun.

Saturday afternoon was full of golf for the men and shopping for the ladies (a Nemrow tradition of sorts), and then that night we got to hang with a few of our favorite people.
That above smiley picture took a few tries to get (and this isn't even all the outtakes)...

We love the Cases and wish we lived closer!  Good thing they're moving to Cupertino this summer for an internship with Apple - at least we'll be in the same state again!  We tried to make some yummy sounding s'mores cookies via a Pinterest recipe and...it was an adventure.  From Stephen accidently mistaking the powdered sugar for flour and adding 2 1/2 cups of it to the dough, to watching these cookies become ginormous...we had a good time.

 
Don't worry, they were delicious.   And, yes, we split one into fourths to share among us - there's no way I could eat one of those things by myself.

The last day of a trip is always a little bit depressing.  We went to church and took Sunday naps and then me, trying to squeeze out every ounce of springtime before we left, asked Dave if we could go on another walk.  He's too good to me and gave in.  We drove to the neighborhoods south of BYU campus and took a stroll around our old stomping grounds.  I felt a little old, and then felt silly about feeling old.  We still could completely pass as college students, heck we pass as laurels and priests in our California ward right now!


 It was a lovely long weekend and we already miss everyone.  Flying back home is always bittersweet, but now it's back to real life - xo Utah friends!  Hopefully we'll see you again real soon.

No comments: