- Pages -

1.31.2012

a metaphor*

*First of all this post is supposed to be ironic - please take everything I say with a grain of salt and a smile.
 ______________________________________________________________________
A new job is like starting to date someone.
 
You've been seeing each other around campus for a while now (job postings) and keep making eye contact.

Finally he gets your number (resume) and you go on a date (first phone interview).

It's swell, so you go on a second date (office interview).

It's swell too.

You decide to be exclusive (get hired).

It's been a little over a week now and everything is going fine.

You're at the point now where you're just starting to tell people about your relationship
...and then the commitment issues set in.

(ie: your boss figures out you probably won't be around past June - and even though you told her you and your husband are graduating in April, she never asked if you would be moving out of state post-graduation.  You figured she had to be okay with hiring short-term students when she posted their job opening through your college counseling office so you didn't worry too much about it.)

Well, you guessed it.

I'm single again.
Um, employment-ly speaking.

I had myself a good pout, cleaned the apartment and got a call from a lovely cousin who had free tickets to a Sundance Best of Fest screening that night if we wanted them.

Can you say best way to get over the laid off blues?

Plus dinner at this yummy place after the show and I'm feelin' better already.

xo

3 comments:

Jordan and Laura said...

so sorry to see this carly! let me know if you could use a batch of cookies or a game night!

Christa Jeanne said...

Oh, Carly, I am so sorry to hear that!!! That stinks bigtime. I'm really surprised they'd hire you and then axe you instead of just keeping you on until you move. Their loss. Hope something else turns up! Meanwhile, enjoy your "funemployment"? (So glad you and Dave could come the other night! That was so fun!)

And yes, the dating/career analogy is SO apt. The longer I'm in the career, the more I appreciate it. Every job has its flaws, just like every person has theirs - it's a matter of which ones you can overlook and which will drive you batty to make for a good long-term match.

James and Jani said...

Girl! Where was it at, because my husband wont be graduated anytime soon and I am looking for a job!!! p.s. I love everything about your blog!!